Baked blueberry donuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup buttermilk (OR yogurt OR sour cream)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup blueberries
For the glaze:
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2–3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease donut pan well with butter or cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together (flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder). Set aside. In a small bowl, whisk buttermilk, butter, and egg together. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold blueberries into batter gently.
- Place batter in large plastic bag with end cut off about ½″. Fill donut cavities about ¾″ full and slam pan on floor or countertop to get dough to settle. Bake for 20–22 minutes until tops are lightly browned and when you push on donut it springs back. Let donuts cool in pan for 10 minutes before gently inverting pan and taking donuts out.
- While donuts are cooling, whisk glaze ingredients together. When donuts are cooled completely, dip tops of donut into glaze.
- Add ½ teaspoon of lemon juice to the glaze to have baked blueberry muffins with lemon glaze. The blueberry/lemon combo is on point.
- These blueberry donuts can be made with yogurt (make sure it’s plain) instead of buttermilk. You can also use sour cream. That's the joy of these donuts!
If not eating right away, store donuts in an airtight container BEFORE glazing to ensure they don’t get soggy. Glaze them a few minutes before eating. Donuts will store for 2–3 days but best eaten the day of.