- double recipe for your favourite pie crust (or store bought)
- 4½ cups thawed blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ heaped cup corn flour
- 1 egg
- raw sugar, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Mix together the berries, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, and corn flour in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Roll and fit the bottom crust to a standard 22cm pie plate.
- On a well-floured chopping board or flexible cutting board, roll out the top pie crust. Use a sharp paring knife to cut out eyes, nose holes, and mouth. Make these in the centre of the pie crust leaving enough extra around the edges to crimp to the bottom crust.
- Spread the prepared berry filling into the pie plate with the bottom crust.
- Carefully transfer the top crust to the pie plate. Carefully press together and seal the top and bottom crusts, while pulling off any extra dough.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg with a splash of cold water. Brush a thin layer onto the top pie crust. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 45–55 minutes, until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling.
- Let cool completely before slicing.
Recipe by Savory Moments. Photo by Geshas.