Easy blueberry fruit leather
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (if using frozen blueberries, thaw, rinse and pat dry before using)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 105°C. In blender, purée blueberries, lemon juice, maple syrup, 1 tablespoon water and orange zest until smooth. Pour evenly onto parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Spread into thin layer, about ⅛-inch thick.
- Bake for 6–8 hours or until mixture is no longer tacky in the middle and leather is slightly translucent and darkened in color. (If you notice outer edges of fruit leather darkening before center is dried fully, reduce temperature to 95°C and continue baking.)
- Let cool completely. Cut into 1-inch long strips. Roll up in parchment paper strips if desired. Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Photo: New Africa