Ukrainian blueberry dumplings (varenyky)
Ingredients (for 24 dumplings):
For the dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, or 2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- ½ cup water, or more, as necessary
For the blueberry filling:
- 2 cups blueberries, washed and stemmed
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons brandy or kirsch, or lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
For the sauce and serving:
- Melted butter, for the cooked varenyky
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Icing sugar, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt, Add the egg and enough water to make a medium–soft dough.
- Knead by hand or in a stand mixer until smooth. Do not overwork the dough.
- Halve the dough and cover both halves with plastic wrap. Let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, combine blueberries, sugar, optional liquor or lemon juice and cinnamon. Cook over low heat until it comes to the boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer for 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of the dough 3mm thick.
- Using a round cutter, cut out circles of dough.
- Place a circle on the palm of your hand. Using a slotted spoon, place 3 or 4 blueberries on each circle. Leave the sauce in the pan.
- Fold the dough over to form a half circle. Press the edges together until well-sealed and there is no air trapped and the edges are free of filling.
- Place filled dumplings on a lightly floured surface and cover with a tea towel to prevent drying.
- Drop 6 varenyky at a time into boiling salted water. Stir gently to prevent them sticking.
- Boil rapidly for 3 to 4 minutes. Cooking time will depend on the thickness of the dough.
- Varenyky are done when well puffed. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and drain in a colander.
- Place in a shallow dish and coat generously with melted butter, tossing to prevent sticking. Cover and keep hot until all the varenyky are boiled.
- Make the blueberry sauce by adding cornflour to the leftover blueberry liquid. Heat over low until slightly thickened.
- Drizzle blueberry sauce on the valenyky or pour it into a small jug for serving.
- Dust varenyky with icing sugar and serve with a dollop of sour cream.
Tip: instead of rolling out the dough, divide it into 24 uniform balls and roll each one to 3mm thick